Give a tree an inch...


Last week, my daughter and I went for a hike in the Niagara Gorge, just downstream from Niagara Falls. This poor tree was doing its thing in a crack in the rock with no soil visible all around in any direction. It was a beautiful day for a walk in the gorge. It's a pretty harsh existence here in the rapids, winters must be brutal.

We've hiked this trail before, though this time I counted 309 stairs down to the water level. Last time I counted 308. I have more & better photos here.


The Whirlpool Aero Car hangs above Whirlpool Rapids.
In continuous operation since 1916.

The roiling water looks like its boiling. It's against the law to be in this part of the Niagara River.
You can be instantly carried away, dragged down under and pinned at the bottom and never found.
At least not all of you.
Another tree, growing between the cracks.
The area below Whirlpool State Park. You can see all the
trees & brush growing where ever they get a foot hold.

Comments

  1. I was exactly there last week too. I also hiked down the 309 stairs. I am always amazed at those trees. Plus the ones hanging on for dear life too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GWGT (Donna),
    I'd seen your posts just before this and knew you'd been in the area - beautiful photos on your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts